Renny Roininen from Finland
with Past President Sue Hamnett
Lucy Hamnett preparing to
leave the Bay of Islands for a
year in Argentina as the
clubs International Exchange
International Exchange Students
Nora Reider from Switzerland
and Lucy Hamnett from the
Bay of Islands attended Bay of
Islands College Ball.
Youth and Vocation Committee:
The Paihia Rotary Club Youth and Vocation Committee aims to assist young people to develop as worthy citizens and leaders in our community.
We aim to identify and develop the leaders of tomorrow and recognise and celebrate the achievements of young people through programmes such as the Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) and International Youth Exchange.
Youth are our future!
Local Youth Programs:
Listed below are just a few of some of our past community based youth programs:
- Supplied dictionaries to schools
- Duffy books in homes/reading mentors in local schools
- Sponsor and run the Paihia Beach dig at the summer festival
- Fund raising for local schools
- Sponsors for the Bay of Islands College Prize Giving
- Sponsors for school prizes at Broadwood school
Local Vocational Programs:
- Visits to local schools and businesses.
- Guest speakers presentations give members the chance to learn the inner workings of occupations other that their own.
- Rotary fellowships are international associations of Rotarians joining together to pursue a recreational or vocational interest.
- Career counselling programs.
- Informal professional networking events.
National and International Programs:
- The Northland Rotary/Northtec Science Extravaganza: This program provides Year 11 science students (NCEA Level 1) a three days of hands on experience in a wide range of sciences. It aims to stimulate interest and encourages students into further study towards science related employment.
- Long-Term Rotary International Student Exchange Program (IYE): The purpose of this program is to advance international understanding and goodwill by giving Secondary school students the opportunity to participate in family, academic and community life in other countries and environments.
- Rotary Australia New Zealand Student Exchange (RANZSE): The purpose of this program is designed to foster international understanding between young Australians and New Zealanders, by giving secondary school students the opportunity to experience family, academic and community life in Australia.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA): A training program for young people that emphasizes leadership, citizenship and personal growth. RYLA is a week-long leadership development program for 18-24 year olds hosted and sponsored by Rotary Clubs.
- RYDA New Zealand: The RYDA Program delivers coordinated, updated and practical road safety information to 15 and 16 year old students.
- Challenge Camp: This program is a week-long live-in Challenge Camp which matches approximately 25 physically disabled young people aged 16-24 years, with our International Exchange Students as care givers and buddies for the week.
Bay of Islands Rotary Club - Paihia